Friday, March 15, 2013

Status Update (Friday 3/15)

Aria's WBC (white blood count) is slowly climbing, so they said we could go home! Weeeee.

Probably won't be after Lyric's bedtime tonight though, because Lyric has been very ill (and thus I am officially removing the horrible month of March from my calendar). Kevin needs the day to Lysol the house so that not a trace of ozone remains over our little corner of Oak Park. 

Kevin's super-BFF is visiting us for the first time since we moved to Chicagoland. The first time I met Erik was the first time I met Kevin, in a bar on Haight Street in San Francisco on the 15th of March, 2002. I told my friend Anita that Kevin was my type. She made fun of his pants. Happy Anniversary!

I need a break from this wing of pediatrics, which increasingly feels like an artistically directed sound bite from a medical drama. 

The little girl in the room next door has her door closed, and she never stops coughing. 

The mom of 13-year-old bald chemo-boy across the hall keeps pacing the room and nagging her son to take a shower.

And the 3-year-old down the way is alone, on DNR, being sent home for hospice. Every time I pass his open door, all I can see is a colorful blanket, and I hear nothing at all.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are hoping that Lyric is feeling better & you are all home relaxing with a good friend & a glass of wine.

Kari McCarthy said...

Thanks Karen. I'm happy to report we've been home for a full 24 hours this time. We are honoring the occasion with a margarita. :)