Number One
Our cat, Magik, is dying of cancer, just like Taz did a couple of years ago. I napped and dreamt Magik finally passed, in my arms. Then in my arms, she turned into a some representation of Aria. In my dream, I handed Aria away to someone, and sat on her rocking horse and started to feel her loss.
I woke up then and was forced for the first time to feel "that." I'd successfully avoided any such visceral reenactments since this all began 3-1/2 weeks ago.
So #1: Uncontrollable dream states suck.
Number Two
Someone thought the pictures I posted this week of Aria were current. Actually, those images were all "pre-March," aka, Healthy Aria. So, to clarify, I offer the following:
![]() |
| Healthy Aria (on right) |
| Aria on Steroids (everyday for three weeks) |
![]() |
| The boy from that awful TV show |
WTF, right? She can barely walk or breathe because her belly is so inflated, and her cheeks, oh her cheeks. (And her hair...I have no excuse for that).
So, #2: Not recognizing my own baby everyday? Sucks.
Number Three
Twice in 24 hours, I experienced a conversation with a SIP (socially inept person).
I should have recognized oncoming SIPs from when I was pregnant. They were the ones offering monologues like, "So, do you know what it is yet? Or do you just hope it's healthy? My sister knew someone once who had a kid who popped out with (Insert Horrifying Syndrome here)."
("But, they still love it of course!" they call as I'd walk away shaking my head.)
This morning, I ran into Aria's dance teacher, who somehow had missed the memo on why Aria cancer. As I explained, her college buddy piped in: "My sister's friend had leukemia in junior high, and, like, right after that, she got bone cancer!" ("Oh, but don't worry, she's still alive!")
There's also the kindly 70-something business consultant who shared the story of his sister's friend's brother's wife's mechanic's teenage son, who had leukemia when he was Aria's age: "His bones were damaged from the radiation. He never grew taller than a 1st grader. And his organs were all damaged, including his brain." ("I hear the treatment is much better today though!")
So #3: Imagining new hopeless scenarios...sucks. I can almost forgive the dippy young girl. But Consultant Dude's been playing this awkward conversation game for the better half of a century, and that's the best life-affirming recollection he could offer?


2 comments:
JHC. WTF.
Yuck. Better dreams tonight, I hope for you.
Post a Comment