Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Good, Better, Best, Bestest (Or, F*** Yeah!)

Aria's next phase of remission therapy includes a LOT of lumbar punctures (to prevent undetectable cancer cells from cruising to her brain or central nervous system).

The first of these, two weeks ago, did not provide an auspicious start.

She was dehydrated (and begging for food and water) because she couldn't consume anything since the night before. The attending Doctor I Love had to needle Aria's spine a dozen times for fluid and then call in two more doctors to try before they got what they needed. To keep her under so long, the anesthesiologist pumped her full of more ketamine than a fratboy trying to prove himself at a rave.

Kevin looked like he was going to tear the doctors apart when she kept sticking her will needles and upping the doses of anesthesia, and I began rethinking our choice of hospitals.

The next day, we learned she was in remission (good news!) right when she was supposed to be, which meant she wouldn't be moved to the "high risk" category.

The doctor then invited me in for a one-on-one to set our plans, and I decided to give the medical team one more chance. That chance was today. So, I steeled myself this morning for a repeat of last visit's agony.

Today was better. Aria found the bright side of the clinic (they have a TV!) and acknowledged that although the poking sucks, at least it's quick. She chatted with the nurses and doctors for the first time, instead of staring them down. The patient load wasn't as chaotic as usual, so the nurses were extra attentive. Most importantly, the doctor got punctured Aria's little lumbar on the second try. (Next week, we are still aiming for First Try, yeah?)

The best news? Aria's ANC count is 1,920!  When she was diagnosed, it was less than 100. And it pretty much stayed there (or far lower) ever since, thanks to Chemo doing it's job as Supreme Cell Destroyer.

Risk Category
ANC
0Within normal limits
11500 to 2000
21000 to 1500
3500 to 1000
4less than 500

An uber-low ANC means her body can't fight infection, so she gets The Bubble: homebound, limited contact outside household members, and Kevin continuously sanitizing every visible surface until his hands quite literally bleed.

Yesterday, I was too depressed about The Bubble, so I should have known today would bring new news. (Per cancer's orders, I'm allowed to have one continuous emotion -- positive or negative -- only every 12 to 24 hours).

Doctor said she can see her friends! (Children who exhibits no cold symptoms. Do they make those?) She can go for ice cream! (So long as they wear gloves when they make it).
She can go to a movie (Wipe down the seat! And that seat! And the back of that one!).
She can play outside (Not in bird, dog, or squirrel poop!).

I almost cried for the third time since this started. (Every week we will check her ANC to decide what the next week's bubble size should be. Bring your bubblometer). And then....

The bestest news: The Chemo Calendar says that if we schedule it a week early, Aria can (probably) have a (small) party for her 4th birthday (at home)!

(I'll let you consider what it felt like to imagine this could possibly be her last birthday, and her not understanding why her friends aren't there, and then Lyric leaving the house for her own birthday bash at the ice cream shoppe two weeks later).

I'm thinking of hiring a face painter. And a magician. Or a Disney Princess. Maybe a pony. Or a string of poloponies...

1 comment:

anita said...

Sweetie girl! Go Aria!