Friday, July 26, 2013

Crowdsourcing the Fun Hat Party Committee

July 18, 2013

July 26, 2013
This is
the space
where I
try to process
how we got from left
to right.






I just ate a half a pan of Deedee's amazing Rice Krispie treats with a Bacardi and Coke. And now I'm gonna blog... 

You and me, we should fundraise before the summer is out. See my kid up there? That's why.

A couple of months ago, I believed I'd be planning these fundraisers all summer. Turns out I spend a lot more time facilitating the health, welfare, and livelihood of other dependent humans. I don't have as much time to play event planner as I wished. I need the help of others to make things happen. I'm seeing that a lot lately. Who knew.

Anyway, I've been thinking of hosting two events. Or maybe it's one big 'un. Or a dozen small ones?

In case you're behind, Aria has far less hair than she did at birth. A light layer of peach fuzz, like a duckling. She doesn't want me to shave it. She seems to like it. She wears headbands.

She should wear a hat. But she doesn't care that she's bald, and that makes her awesome. Again.

The steroids finally started to wear off, so hopefully in a few weeks she'll return to her standard elfin size.

For my baby Sinead fundraiser, I'm think: Silly Hat Party! (As if I'd invented the concept. As usual, Google pointed out how unoriginal I am.)

Regardless: Fun Hat Parties, where fun = fabulous, freaky, funny, fancy, or f*ed up headwear.

One fundraising party would be for kids to attend. Entrance fee would be a new toy, which we'll donate to the toy box for the chemo kids at Aria's pediatric cancer clinic at Loyola.

Some days the clinic has a full box, some days it's lacking. Often it's got dozens of Barbies and not much for little kids, for boys, or for smart girls who finally figured out that Barbie is boring. 

I'd like this fundraiser to include kids activities (Michelle gave me a gift certificate for face painting, for example) and light snacks.

My dilemma is one of venue. My townhome is too small. Even if we thought the front yard adequate, bad weather would muck up our plans. And here we enter my ADHD Zone.

I wonder: Is there someone in Oak Park I know with a big house and yard and would actually enjoy allowing dozens of strange children to trample their chaise lounge, labradoodle, and begonias?

Probably not. Even if there were, would I live through the guilt of a flattened labradoodle in the flower garden? Unlikely.

Is there a kids' art studio, kids' gym, a rec facility, a school gym/cafeteria, or playspace that would donate their venue? How big does it need to be? How many kids are we talking about?

If I had too much means and far less sense, and invited every child we know from school and after-school, we could have hundreds of kids. And that's sort of my plan. It's a fundraiser, not a birthday party.

Is this an event to ask the Lake Theatre to sponsor? Is it a block party? Is it a series of weekend events if various locations? What is it?

Tell me what you think. Use the comments (hardly anyone does.) Be my committee. 

I'd pick the Children's Cancer Research Fund. That's the organization that my uncle ran a marathon for in May.

The *other* party would be Adults Only. 

I'd like to find a restaurant that would donate a portion of an evening's proceeds (or a week's proceeds from anyone who comes in to dine wearing a silly hat).

WSMS (the girls' school) did this kind of fundraiser with House Red, incorporating wine tasting. Perhaps the owner Neb is amenable. Perhaps he remembers me?

Lyric's a regular at Kinderhook Tap. (Free ice cream with every kids meal!) Maybe there? Who do you know? Should I have her ask them?

Aria spends her allowance at Poor Phil's. (Best Mac N Cheese, Mommy!) Do I walk in with my bald baby and guilt someone into it?

Do I find someone who knows someone to ask someone?

Do you want to help? What are your ideas? Tell me?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in! Also, I know a guy who knows a guy that could possibly get entertainment to attend this shindig for a special little girl. They go by the Jesse White Tumbling Team...Have you heard of them? :) Overall, I want to be involved in anything and everything.

Kari McCarthy said...

Rachel, OMG that would be amazing!!

Barbara said...

I'm also in! How about Taylor Park for the kids party? They have a good size gazebo. I can put you in touch with the student organization at Roosevelt that does cancer fundraisers, maybe they have ideas, maybe they want to help?

Unknown said...

you should chat with Dan...(fundraising is his profession) he might be able to give you some suggestions