Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pep talk. Eulogy. Pep talk? Eulogy.

I do not expect others to know what to say to me, Kevin, or to Aria or Lyric.

Some think I've been too forgiving of others who don't call at all, or who say something pretty ridiculous. But I've been there. I've said the stupid thing or been too nervous to call.

I don't hold anyone accountable for saying something that's not exactly right. Sure I might make fun of the person, the phrase or the moment. I might even feel momentarily shitty, morose or depressed.

But I don't expect anyone to be perfectly articulate about death, disease, and childhood all in the same conversation. Well meaning is good enough.

(P.S. Can't talk about it? It's cool. Send a note, a card, or a box of wine.)

Even so, this is so poignantly written, I can't save it just for my FB feed: http://www.salon.com/2013/05/02/the_ultimate_cancer_taboo_sometimes_it_kills_you/



No comments: